I’d never heard of squash rolls.
While visiting with Mom 2 last week, she described these moist and delicious rolls she makes with yellow summer squash.
I guess she didn’t make these during my teen years of putting my feet under her table. Dad 2 was a big bread man, reserving one hand during his meals for holding the bread.
Rolls made with mashed-up squash?
The moist muffin rolls Mom 2 described sounded amazing, so she mailed me the recipe. She thinks you will like the squash rolls, too.
I’ve said it before: HH is a bread man.
HH does the same thing Dad 2 always did – reserves one hand for holding the bread. (And they weren’t even related!)
If his hand is empty…well, it just can’t happen.
Oh, my goodness…these are moist…and delicious…and you’ll be glad you made them.
These are a fantastic way to use extra squash from your garden. They freeze very well, too.
- 1 pound yellow summer squash, cut into 1" pieces
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cook squash in pan with 1" of water, bringing to a boil, then reducing heat. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until tender. Drain squash and mash.
- Stir butter and egg into squash and set aside. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl. Fold wet ingredients into dry just until dry ingredients are moistened. To avoid chewy rolls, don't over-mix. Fill greased muffin tins ¾ full. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before serving - they're very hot.
Thanks, Mom 2…another winner from your kitchen!
Do you serve rolls regularly at your house? Have you made squash rolls before?
I’m linking this post with the following parties. Click the title to join the fun.
Thank you for visiting! ~ Just a note to remind you to follow me through RSS feed, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, or Hometalk. Also, I’d love it if you shared Curtain Queen Creates with all your sweet friends. Thanks, y’all.
You may also like: