Do you love eating stews and soups during cold weather? Pure comfort!
This Salsa Beef Stew is one of our favorites. I love chili, but this is a little different, with black beans and corn added for more color and enhanced flavor.
And, it’s so easy to make! I like to include carrots, like the recipe calls for, but I didn’t have any this time. (No running to town for carrots when you’re in The Land of Making Do.)
This stew tasted very good without the carrots, but you’ll want to include them when you make it – for the additional flavor and nutrition. (Don’t we all take advantage of getting those vegetables into our family at any opportunity?)
To make this stew, saute the chopped onion and carrot pieces in a little olive oil. When the carrots begin to get tender (about five minutes), add ground beef and brown it. Pour off the grease (y’all know how I am about grease), then add all the other ingredients. Look how colorful!
And, it’s even more colorful with the carrots. This hardy soup will stick with you on a cold day! I like to serve it with cornbread, but often I top it with grated Cheddar and crushed Fritos® or tortilla chips. Yum, y’all!
Here’s the recipe for you to print and share.
- 1-1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 jar mild or medium salsa, your choice
- 1 15-19-oz. can (or 1-3/4 cup) chicken broth
- 1 15-19-oz, can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-oz. can yellow kernel corn, drained
- 1 14.5-oz, can diced tomatoes in puree
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a 5-6-quart dutch oven, saute chopped onion and carrots in Olive Oil until carrots are slightly tender.
- Add ground beef and stir until browned. Drain away grease, and add all other ingredients.
- Bring to simmer, reduce heat to med-low, and continue in low simmer for 5-15 minutes. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor!
I know you’re going to enjoy this stew. Your family will, too. Happy stay-warm soup weather, y’all! 🙂
Thank you for visiting! ~ I’d like to invite you to follow me through RSS feed, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, or Hometalk. Also, I’d love it if you shared Curtain Queen Creates with all your sweet friends.
I’m sharing this post with the following link parties. Click the link to join the fun!