A friend told me about this recipe months ago. While the name speaks of snow and winter, this entrée fares well for any time of year.
I’ve wanted to try this dish for all these months, but it’s not one I’d make for only the two of us. When friends accepted our invitation for dinner last week, I decided it was time to give this recipe a whirl. These particular friends are accustomed to being new recipe guinea pigs when they eat at our house. (Yes, they are true friends!)
At the time of our dinner late last week, we had no idea of the snow in store for us this week. How fitting, though, to usher in our snow week with a recipe called Snow on the Mountain!
It involves a little chopping, a little dumping from a package, a little pouring from a bag, and a tish of stirring on the stove.
The process is to serve choices of toppings in serving bowls along a buffet line. Everyone helps themselves first to rice and creamy chicken sauce and then their toppings of choice to build their mountain. The final ingredient is the snow for their mountain in the form of coconut.
The snow/coconut bowl is closest to us pictured above. The first two bowls at the opposite end are for the hot rice and the chicken sauce (to be filled just before serving).
The creamy chicken sauce has mushrooms and bell pepper sautéed in butter, chicken broth, half & half, pimento, and chopped cooked chicken, a little S & P and flour for thickening, all stirred together over medium heat.
Continuing in the buffet line-up, we have:
chopped green onions
chow mein noodles
toasted slivered almonds
HH was all too happy to skip right over those celery bits. I didn’t skip a thing.
Here’s your recipe to print and share. Or, you can pin it for later. The PIN IT button us at the top left of the post.
- Creamy Chicken Sauce:
- ½ cup butter
- 4 oz. fresh, sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half & half
- ½ cup pimento
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- Ingredients in order for the buffet:
- 6 cups cooked rice, brown or white
- Creamy Chicken Sauce (above)
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 large chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped green onions
- 5 oz. chow mein noodles
- 20 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 oz. toasted slivered almonds
- 7 oz. coconut
- Creamy Chicken Sauce: Saute mushrooms and bell pepper in butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper, blending while cooking over low heat. Add chicken broth, half & half, and pimento, continuing to cook over low heat and stirring until thickened. Add chicken and stir. Place 2nd in the buffet line order.
- Buffet line-up: Place remaining ingredients in individual bowls for serving in order as listed.
I thought I’d share some pictures of the snow from early yesterday. It was mostly cloudy, so the pictures are a little dark.
HH and I walked to the mailbox and back with Suzy-Q along. I wish you all could have been here with us for the fun and beauty of it all. How blessed we were to have the pretty snow!
We have no mountain, so there’s no snow on a mountain here…except on a plate! 😉
Are you planning to cook something special over the weekend? I’d love to hear all about it.