As promised yesterday when I posted the original White Chicken Chili recipe, here’s a faster way to achieve the same chili.
This version uses canned great northern beans rather than dried. Naturally, that cuts down a good bit of time.
Overall, this recipe saves over an hour and a half. It tastes every bit as good as the dried bean version. Yippee, right?
A benefit of the dried beans over canned is they are healthier. When using canned beans, you could use a low-sodium type, if needed. Regardless, you now have both recipes, so choose the version you prefer – with either canned or dried beans. 🙂
You’ll notice the water and chicken broth amounts are reduced in this quicker version, too.
I was thrilled to find a 48-ounce low-sodium chicken broth with no MSG. I don’t really believe the no MSG part, but it was the perfect amount for this recipe.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, fine diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 2 4-oz. cans diced green chile peppers
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 15.5-oz. cans Great Northern beans, drained
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 Tablespoon leaf Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red Cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- Saute onion and celery in olive oil until tender. Add minced garlic and saute one additional minute.
- Add all other ingredients and stir to combine. Simmer on stove until heated through, 15-30 minutes.
- Garnishes: Tortilla chips, crackers, sour cream, white cheese.
So, which recipe do you prefer? Do you think you’ll go for this quick chicken chili or the dried bean White Chicken Chili recipe?
I’m sharing this post at Metamorphosis Monday. 🙂