Do you like feta? I wasn’t a big fan until eating my friend JA’s Pasta Salad for a Crowd. Let’s just say I’m warming up to it.
I decided to try feta in a salad of mixed greens, mandarin oranges, and toasted almonds. Oh. My. Goodness.
Kroger sells the most delicious Orange Poppy Seed Dressing in their Private Selection line. It is perfect on this salad.
HH’s mother came to visit recently, and everyone enjoyed this delicious salad…and the dressing. Thank you, Kroger! 🙂
Along with my previous aversion to Feta, I was never a fan of mandarin oranges. Oh, I liked real oranges, just not canned. But since my friend D’s Springy Strawberry Salad became a part of regular life in The Land of Making Do, I’ve been hooked!
Also, today’s salad is similar to the Orange Spring Salad with Toasted Almonds that I make to go with Jenna’s (The Painted Apron) fabulous orange dressing. I haven’t tried Jenna’s dressing on today’s salad, but I’m sure it would be wonderful.
This is such an easy salad to put together…almost don’t need a recipe. But here it is in case you’d like to keep it handy for reference.
- 1 5-oz. pkg of salad greens (your choice)
- 1 15-oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 4 oz. - 5 oz. container of Feta cheese
- Private Selection (Kroger's brand) Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- Over medium-low heat, toast almonds with 1 teaspoon butter and a sprinkling of salt (to taste). Stir constantly for 5-10 minutes or until very lightly browned. Set aside.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with oranges, almonds, and feta.
- Drizzle dressing to taste.
Tip for the day: Totally against all you’ve ever heard (going out on a limb here, hands over my head for protection from stones)…don’t toss your salad.
Have you noticed the nuts always sink to the bottom? I find that if I layer everything on top of lettuce leaves in the bowl and sprinkle smaller items on top, you get a good bit of everything in your salad spoons and then onto the plate.
Do you toss salads? How do you keep the smaller things from falling to the bottom of the bowl?