Can you believe it’s September already? Our cooler temps will arrive soon, and we are ready for them!
Do you buy variety-pack boxes of instant oatmeal? Do you like every flavor?
We had a huge box taking up space in our pantry…and I just wondered what was in that thing. Drum-roll please…
Four packets of instant bananas and cream oatmeal! (Hey, wait a minute! There’s no cream in there! They’re fooling us! They’re just trying to make it sound delicious.)
HH is the only one around here who eats the instant oatmeal packet stuff, and he never eats anything banana flavored (except banana pudding, of course). Time to find an alternative use for those little packets.
And, by the way, why did I suddenly discover those four little packets in that h u g e box taking up space on the shelf?
I’m fessing up right now.
I’ve been cleaning out the pantry to avoid revealing how it’s taken me so long to buy groceries in a different way now that we’re not feeding four people every day. Yikes! I threw away so much expired food!
One of you asked me to show you where I keep all my dishes and tablescape decorations. I’m cleaning up the pantry shelves first…so you can see the dishes.
While I was busily cleaning light fixtures, straightening closets, and cleaning out the pantry (wink, wink, and wink), I took a break to make these muffins. Yes, we can “DIY” our food rather than throwing it away!
Funny thing…just as these were coming out of the oven, the farrier drove up by the barn.
Since I usually take him a cool drink, I decided to surprise him with a few banana muffins on his early call. (If you keep them happy, they come when called and show up on time – even at 8 am. Ha!)
I wrapped a few muffins in foil and headed outside to say hello, deliver the muffins that I couldn’t confirm even tasted good, and to help with the equine pedicures (his part) and spa session (my part).
Later, HH and I tested the muffins for ourselves.
Oh, my goodness. Yes, they were good! Shall we have another?
Here’s the recipe for these banana nut muffins.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar (white)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 packets of banana cream instant oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- Streusel Topping:
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make streusel: Mix flour and brown sugar into a small bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly texture. Stir in pecans and set aside.
- Muffins: In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients except pecans. Make well in center and add milk and egg. With spatula, stir egg together with milk until egg is broken up, then blend with dry ingredients by folding. Add pecans.
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups ¾ full. Top with streusel and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven when toothpick comes out clean. Immediately run knife around muffins and remove from pan. Enjoy!
I adapted a recipe at Allrecipes.com to make these banana nut muffins. Their recipe uses the instant maple and brown sugar oatmeal packets, so if you’d like to try that one, visit them here.