Happy Friday, everyone! Would you like a new recipe for a special treat this weekend?
My friend G makes the best strawberry muffins for her family. She shared her recipe with me long ago. Can you ever forgive me for not telling you about these sooner?
Yes, these strawberry muffins are delicious! They are quick to make, too.
Am I alone in my constant quest for ways to use buttermilk in recipes? I try to use most of my milk before the date runs out. So, I changed the milk in this recipe to buttermilk.
Do not despair. I’m providing both options in the recipe…so YOU can decide. Personally, I make them both ways, depending on my milk/buttermilk status at the time. 😉
Oh, and there’s one other change I sometimes make – the amount of sugar. During seasons when the berries are a little tart, I use 2/3 cup of sugar rather than the half cup in G’s recipe.
Print away, my friends! 🙂
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ - ⅔ cup sugar (we like it sweeter and use ⅔ cup)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder if using sweet milk (note: 1 teaspoon if using buttermilk)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ cup milk or buttermilk (see baking powder adjustment note)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Make a "well" in the middle and add beaten eggs, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Stir together just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Fold in chopped strawberries.
- Fill vegetable oil-prepared muffin pans ⅔ full.
- Bake in 425-degree oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest 2 minutes before inverting onto cooling rack.
- Yield: one dozen
These strawberry muffins make a nice afternoon snack with hot tea.
If you’re like HH, skip the hot tea, and just grab one – or two – on your way through the kitchen. (Shh…he thinks I don’t notice. 😉 Maybe he thinks I keep count or something, but I really don’t.) Somebody needs to eat them, and he can well afford it more than I can. Men and their awesome metabolisms!
Does someone in your household (or you – wink) need something to sweeten their day (or yours)? Could you use an afternoon tea break with a special treat?
It’s a gorgeous sun-shiny day here in The Land of Making Do. But, it’s very cold…cold enough for afternoon tea and some muffin-sneaking. 😉
May your weekend be deliciously sweet!