When one of you commented last week that you’d like to see inexpensive dishes to feed a crowd, I thought of this one right away. I don’t normally publish two recipe posts in one week, but this is your lucky week! 🙂
I actually made this for supper last night because I didn’t have proper pictures from last year when I made this dish for our college kids.
Our two, who shared an apartment together, were in the middle of final exams. We live less than an hour away, and we’d tried to take them to dinner over the weekend. They begged off because they were too busy with their finals week ahead.
What?? That’s unheard of! They never turned down a free meal “out” before. Something was terribly wrong!
One of them said they had no clean clothes to wear, either, and no time in sight for washing. Yikes!
HH had a great idea. We’d surprise them with a hot meal, a clean house, clean clothes, clean sheets and towels…the works. We love to be sneaky with good surprise visits like this one.
One afternoon early the next week, we set out armed with a prepared potato taco bake…
a Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix…
a seedless watermelon…
several toppings, and cleaning supplies.
Yum, these smelled delicious! (Much like my Ruby Tuesday HACK! Cheddar Cheese Biscuits.)
I could hardly wait to hear from our two studying fiends after they arrived home that night and found all these goodies – and a sparkling clean apartment.
We received appreciative texts later that night when they discovered the surprise. Finally we’d found a way to help them with final exams!
To make this potato taco dish, bake six medium-sized potatoes and chop each into eight chunks. Place in an oblong casserole dish that’s prepared with vegetable spray.
Top with ground beef prepared with taco seasoning.
Top with shredded cheddar.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Dish onto a plate. Add lots of garnishes – your choice of:
cooked whole kernel corn
chopped green onions
sliced black olives
Here’s your recipe to print and share.
- 6 medium baking potatoes
- 1 to 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Toppings: cooked whole kernel corn, salsa, sour cream, chopped green onions, sliced black olives
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes.. Chop each into 8 pieces and place in vegetable oil prepared oblong casserole dish.
- During final 15 minutes of potatoes baking, cook ground beef and strain away grease. Add taco seasoning packet and 1 cup water. Continue cooking for 5 minutes on low, covered. Pour over potatoes in casserole dish.
- Top with shredded cheddar, cover, and bake for 30 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
- Serve on plate and load on the toppings! Add tortilla chips, Doritos, or Fritos. Enjoy!
Serve with tortilla chips, Doritos™, or Fritos™.
A better way to serve this for a large crowd is buffet-style. Our Sunday School class does this at Christmas time. Everyone gets a baked potato and adds the taco meat and other toppings – each to his or her own particular liking. It’s very easy and fun! (I designed this taco bake method for easier transport.)
Are there other toppings you would add to this list? Please share in the comments section so everyone can benefit. 🙂