Last year, when I re-upholstered a footstool, the worst part was removing old staples. If you’re removing old upholstery where someone was oh, too happy with their staple gun, it’s pure torture! In fact, you might remember I opted to upholster over the old fabric layer.
Mom 2 gave me a fireside warming bench a few years ago, and I really liked the fabric she put on it.
But, with the new draperies and chair coming soon to our family room, the bench fabric had to be changed.
Here’s the new drapery fabric – the hunt scene.
I bought the hounds tooth fabric as a coordinate. So, hounds tooth it is for the warming bench. Off it went to the upstairs for a makeover.
Of course, the first step is to remove the attachment screws.
Now for the fun part. :-/
My old way of pulling staples was not efficient. When both prongs remove smoothly, life is grand, right?
But, often one prong removes easily, leaving the other prong intact. Ugh! I’d switch to the pliers and pull straight out, struggling quite a bit until it released, and then went on to the next staple.
I’d use the screw driver again, and then switch to the pliers…back and forth for every staple. That took forever!
Now I use a procedure that works quickly and efficiently. With a flat-head screwdriver, pop up the staples, NOT stopping for one that doesn’t come out all the way.
Just keep moving, and continue around with the screw driver.
Then begin working on the staples sticking up with the pliers. Grab each staple like below, with the pliers on its side.
Grip tightly as you roll the pliers over firmly, slowly, yet gently.
Keep gripping tightly and rolling.
And, it’s out. It only takes 5-10 seconds per staple.
I timed my way around the cushion, and it took me about 7 minutes total to go once around with the screw driver and again with the pliers. I could hardly believe how much quicker that was, and that’s why I wanted to share it with you!
As usual, I found another fabric layer beneath.
I decided to leave this snug layer as a good base. The thin cotton is still holding strong.
Here’s the finished project, the new footstool for my chair that’s arriving soon.
I thought I’d previously demonstrated covering an upholstered cushion, so I didn’t take pictures of that part of this project.
After reviewing previous posts, I discovered I haven’t given a tutorial for covering an upholstered cushion. How I regret not taking pictures of that part of this project! This would have been a basic and easy job to demonstrate. (Excuse me while I straighten my crown that went a little lop-sided there.)
I hope you’ll forgive me, and I also hope this staple removal technique helps you. You know I’m already looking for something else to cover so I can give you an upholstering tutorial. 😉
Happy Friday and blessings to you, my sweet friends~