Have you ever tasted chipotle barbecue sauce?
I love anything flavored with roasted chipotle peppers, so when I noticed chipotle barbecue sauce on my grocer’s shelf, I snatched it up and brought it home. I knew I could find something to do with it!
I have a recipe for chipotle barbecue sauce in one of my cookbooks. I made it once, but it’s more trouble than I like to fool with for a sauce. Are you more of a semi-home-made woman, too? (Please tell me I’m not alone here!)
Meatloaf is comfort food, and I love it with mashed potatoes and green peas. Is that odd to you? To me, it’s as natural as turkey and dressing…hamburgers and French fries…field peas, greens, and cornbread. You get the idea.
I saw a recipe recently for a slow cooker barbecue meatloaf. So, this week, when I had a day full of other things to do, I grated some onion to mix into a package of ground round.
I added a few other “normal” meatloaf ingredients, like egg, oats, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
The final ingredient was the chipotle barbecue sauce.
To prepare your slow cooker, spray with vegetable oil pan coating, then loosely wad up knots of tin foil.
This is for the meatloaf to rest on, so get enough in there to support the loaf and keep it level.
Add one cup of water into the slow cooker.
Spread two sheets of tin foil in opposite directions and coat with vegetable oil spray.
Place the meatloaf mixture on the foil and shape into a loaf. Carefully lift the tin foil around the loaf and lower it into the slow cooker . Place foil out and over the cooker’s rim. Place the lid inside the groove around the edge – over the tin foil.
Cook on high for four hours. For the last fifteen minutes of cooking, evenly spread more chipotle barbecue sauce over the top – to taste. But watch out because it’s fairly spicy-hot.
Replace lid and cook for the final 15 minutes. Lift meat inside foil and tilt to drain liquid into slow cooker. Transfer meat to your serving plate. Mine slid easily off of the foil.
Slice and enjoy!
- 1-1/4 pounds ground round
- ½ cup shredded yellow onion
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chipotle barbecue sauce, divided
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Add ½ cup chipotle barbecue sauce to all other ingredients and mix very well.
- To prepare slow cooker, spray with vegetable oil spray and place wads of tin foil in the bottom. Add one cup of water to the cooker.
- Prepare the loaf for cooking: Place loaf over vegetable-oil prepared tin foil - plus another piece of foil beneath, running the opposite direction.
- Pull tin foil around sides of meatloaf and lift into slow cooker.
- Leave foil open and place edges over sides of the slow cooker.
- Place lid on slow cooker and set on high. Cook on high for four hours.
- For the last 15 minutes of cooking, cover meatloaf top with remaining ½ cup of barbecue sauce.
- Remove meatloaf by lifting tin foil and tilting to let liquid run out into slow cooker. Transfer to serving tray and slice.
What other foods have you eaten with chipotle barbecue sauce? (I’m thinking brats. HH loves brats!) What else?