One night last week, ID Diva came by to share a recipe Fun Son gave to her. A couple of years ago, his college friend Lindy Lou (not her actual name, y’all) gave him the recipe. Lindy Lou gets all the credit!
I’d purchased the ingredients needed for the recipe, so we were all set to make the enchiladas. I could hardly wait because the kids had raved about it so. (Now I know why.)
You can use whatever chopped chicken that’s leftover from another meal. We love rotisserie chicken! But you could cook your choice of chicken, de-bone, and cut into small pieces. Place chicken pieces and cheese into a flour tortilla.
We used Mexican blend cheese, but plain cheddar or Monterrey Jack is fine. Use whatever you like best! Roll tortillas into the shape of your choice.
Roll all tortillas. Arrange in a vegetable oil-prepared oblong casserole dish. (Our dish held ten.)
Now, let’s make the awesome sauce – because this is what makes this recipe awesome!
- Make a rue.
- Whisk in chicken broth, simmer until thickened, and remove from heat for five minutes.
- Add sour cream and whisk until blended.
- Add Rotel™ and blend. Sauce complete!
Pour over rolled tortillas.
Top with cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
At this point, your house smells divine, and you’re salivating profusely.
- 10 medium-sized flour tortillas
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups shredded Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or Mexican blend - whatever you like - plus 1 more cup for topping.
- ½ stick butter (1/4 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can of regular Rotel tomatoes and green chilis
- Turn oven to pre-heat at 350 degrees.
- Prepare a glass 9" x 13" x 2" baking dish with vegetable spray.
- Place ¼ cup chopped chicken and ¼ cup cheese (or estimated amounts) onto each tortilla and roll into a log shape. Place into baking dish.
- Repeat for remaining tortillas and fill dish completely with rolled tortillas. Set aside.
- In medium-sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium to med-high heat.. Add flour and quickly whisk while bubbling. Continue to stir for one minute.
- Add broth. Whisk over heat until it boils. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat for five minutes to cool slightly.
- Add sour cream and stir until smooth. Add Rotel and blend completely.
- Pour Rotel mixture over rolled tortillas. Top with one cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 25 minutes in 350-degree oven.
- Remove from oven and dig in! 🙂
Time to eat!
Include some salsa and chips, sour cream, or whatever you like. 🙂
It’s so moist you will be amazed.
I’ve made enchilada recipes before, and they weren’t nearly as delicious as these – nor were those recipes as easy to make as this one.
A winner, right? You bet!
I’m sharing this recipe at Metamorphosis Monday.