Many years ago, our family was on a no-sugar diet, and this recipe fit that requirement. With Fall cravings of sweet potatoes and green apples (but not necessarily together), I was a little unsure if we would like this combination.
But, can you really go wrong with a Southern Living recipe?
It’s very easy – just a little chopping. Remember the apple corer slicer I used in making the Apple Pie in a Poke?
Yep, I used it again for this recipe. In the past, I’d chopped the apples in chunks – as the recipe says. But, I discovered the thinly sliced apple works well, too. A true time-saver, and the little bits of baked apple seemed sweeter. Can that really be possible?
After chopping the onion and yams, dump (a highly technical cooking term) them into a prepared casserole dish with the green apples.
Top with little pats butter. Sprinkle with nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Drizzle with honey and toss the ingredients. The exact amounts are provided in the printable recipe at the end of this post.
Cover and bake in 350-degree oven for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. (My oven takes closer to an hour and fifteen minutes.)
Turn oven to 450 degrees, uncover, and bake until browned. Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt, and stir.
Serve immediately. Delicious!
Print your copy of the recipe here.
- 3 lbs. yams, peeled and cubed 1"
- 1 lb. Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into ½" pieces
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1" wedges
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Toss all ingredients except salt in prepared baking dish with lid. Bake covered in 350 degree oven until tender - 1hour to 1-1/4 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Increase oven to 450 degrees and bake uncovered another 10-15 minutes until yams are browned Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt and stir. Serve immediately.
Thank you for visiting! ~ I’d like to invite you to follow me through RSS feed, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, or Hometalk. Also, I’d love it if you shared Curtain Queen Creates with all your sweet friends. Thanks, y’all.
I’m joining these fun parties this week. Click the link for each to join the party for some inspiration.