Good morning! I’m excited to announce that we had rain! It was a long, slow, steady, soaking rain – just what we needed. The rain is gone now, and the sun is brightly shining this cool morning. All the more reason to worship our Lord this spectacular Sunday!
Today, I have something to share about friendships. Have you been blessed with good friends?
We need our friends! I mentioned two friends recently who were (and are) a part of my life many years before our move to The Land of Making Do. We remain close, even with the distance between us.
These friends have taught me a lot about being a good friend. Their examples to me in the way they’ve lived out our friendships have been a treasure. Before the move, these two friends started praying that I would find friends here that would be good friends. Desirable friends. What a gift!
This week, I opened The Power of a Praying Woman by Stormie Omartian. I love this book, along with The Power of a Praying Wife (which I have read cover to cover more times than Praying Woman). I highly recommend both.
Chapter 15 of the “praying woman” is about praying for guidance in our relationships. I want to share with you what Stormie says about desirable friends – things we sort of intuitively know but might not realize originated in scripture.
Sometimes we think we come up with stuff on our own, but we have to remember – God was there from the beginning. He made us. He knows what we need in a friend and gave us guidance in His word for long and lasting friendships.
These are the seven signs according to Stormie Omartian. (I have to agree.)
- A desirable friend tells you the truth in love. “Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.” Proverbs 27:6
- A desirable friend gives you sound advice. “Ointment and perfume delight the heart, and the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel.” Proverbs 27:9
- A desirable friend refines you. “As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.” Proverbs 27:17
- A desirable friend helps you grow in wisdom. “He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will be destroyed.” Proverbs 13:20
- A desirable friend stays close to you. “A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24
- A desirable friend loves you and stands by you. “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” Proverbs 17:17
- A desirable friend is a help in time of trouble. “Two are better than one, for they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
When we are blessed to have friends with these qualities, we need to thank the Lord for His tremendous gift!
I am thankful for my desirable and spectacular friends. I am thankful for Stormie Omartian, who shares her spectacular wisdom with others through her books on prayer. I am thankful for you, my spectacular readers.
I am thankful for our Spectacular Jesus, Who gives us life. I am thankful for this day, another Spectacular Sunday.
Thank you for visiting! ~ Just a note to remind you to follow me through RSS feed, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, or Hometalk. Also, I’d love it if you shared Curtain Queen Creates with all your sweet friends. Thanks, y’all.